Friday 3 October 2008

It's been a "SURF" week!

I've had a busy week, though not all to do with the project. There was a SURF WBL-Way morning on Wed where I got the opportunity to talk to people from the SURF colleges about the project. It wasn't really the time or place to say too much but quite a few people showed an interest.

Thursday morning I did a short presentation about the DIVAS project to the SURF Curriculum board, this seemed to go down well and I was pleased that, without prompting from me, the subject of validations and particularly support for university validations came up. I invited all the people there to join the NING community and hopefully they'll all join. I do feel the NING community needs a bit of a boost at the moment, I have suggested we start pointing out some of the features of NING, "Hey look, did you know you could blog here!" type of thing.

Fleur Corfield was also at the meeting and talked about how the DIVAS project fitted in with the Enable project, (I've agreed to talk to the Enable group about the project at the end of October,) this also seemed to go down well, so all in all a good meeting.

Thursday afternoon I went to see Penny McCracken from FDF, she's about to finish there so I lucky to catch her. We had a very interesting chat, she comes at things from a national quality standards viewpoint so it certainly gave me a new perspective. She was generally very positive about the project though did express some concerns about perhaps disseminating bad practice and did wonder about sustainability issues.

Hamza has done some great work on joining the repository to NING I'm sure the technical details will appear in his blog but suffice to say I think he has a solution to the question of linking the validation documents to the NING in a way that people should find easy to use, I am very happy about this and he should be telling us in more detail next week at the October meeting.

No comments: